Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 13 Mar 1993 17:31:40 +0100
On  Sat, 13  Mar 1993  10:18:00  EST "Peter  M.  Weiss +1  814 863  1843"
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>Some anomalous behavior exists when  a list definition is _changed_ from
>(the default  of) daily  to weekly,  and you  already had  your personal
>options set before  the change -- you continue to  get the more frequent
>DIGEST distributions until  the beginning of the longer cycle  (or so it
>seemed to me under 1.7fbeta).

The new value takes effect after the current digest is sent.

>INDEX  works well  too  (of course  it only  will  work where  NOTEBOOKs
>exist). I  did not try  this with an  archived list that  had explicitly
>turned off DIGEST  -- to see if  there was an interaction  (I'm not sure
>that you  can get  an INDEX  under those conditions,  but I  suspect NOT
>since that's how I interpretted Eric's postings.)

If there's no digest, you can't subscribe for indexes.

>Finally, I tried  TOPICS, first looking to see if  other 1.7f-beta sites
>had enabled  this on  their lists  (my search of  about 10  USA (+SEARN)
>sites  (LIST DETAILED)  revealed  NO topics=  keyword,  which I  thought
>strange).

Well, this  feature is  only useful  for a  minority of  lists. So  far I
haven't got any  lists where its use might be  legitimate, given that you
have to educate the subscribers to set the right topics.

  Eric