Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 Apr 1992 13:47:46 +0200
On Thu, 9 Apr 1992 00:16:28 GMT Rotan <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Eric, might  I suggest  that you update  listserv so that  if it  gets a
>request for  the old version of  "listname LIST", that it  also *checks*
>the  old version  *if* the  user's ID  is not  found in  the new  "soup"
>version... :-)

Sorry,  but no.  The system  is designed  so that  vital data  isn't lost
forever when you screw up, it is not designed to provide optimal recovery
time  without local  assistance for  all possible  types of  errors. Your
problem isn't that you were not allowed  to retrieve the old list: if you
had been sent a copy, you would still not be able to update the main list
because you have removed your  ownership. Other ways of shooting yourself
in the foot include setting the list owner to some misspelled account, or
changing the password to something you forgot. It seems normal to have to
resort to local  assistance for this kind of errors.  For the same reason
that nobody would  take an operating system allowing the  use of your old
login password for up to 1h after you change it seriously, I am not going
to allow old passwords/owners to keep  running the list for a time window
long enough to avoid having to call local staff for assistance.

In any case, you should have directed your request to Turgut and not me.

  Eric