Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 6 Oct 1993 09:12:22 EDT
On Sun, 3 Oct 1993 17:59:35 -0500 Winship said:
>I probably ought to know this, but I haven't been able to find the
>answer in any of the material I have or know to get.
>
>What does  NJE  stand for, please?  And, since it seems to be a
>standard, who created it and maintains/modifys it?  Is it used by
>anyone other that BITNET/EARN/CREN (I'm not even sure all of those
>use it)?

NJE stands for "Network Job Entry" and is an IBM protocol defined as
follows:

     "A facility for transmitting jobs (JCL and in-stream datasets),
     SYSOUT datasets, (job-oriented) operator commands/messages, and
     job accounting information from one computing system to another."

NJE is provided by IBM for the following operating systems:

     JES2
     JES3
     RSCS
     POWER
     OS/400

Other implementations exist for PC's (BARR/HASP, etc) VAX/VMS (JNET), and
unix (UREP).

The protocol is defined in the IBM Publication "Network Job Entry, Formats
and Protocols", IBM document number SC23-0070.

Hope this helps.

Harold