"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Mar 1993 08:07:00 EST
>(...)   When I became listowner of the active one (WORDS-L) a couple of
>years ago, I moved it from Yale to UGA since UGA was just one short hop
>away from here.  Suddenly my list mail from [log in to unmask] is
>going through Princeton.  That in itself is not a major problem, but
>much of the mail is never getting to me at all.  I know that because I've
>been checking our ftp daily logs of list mail and finding many list postings
>that never made it to me.  Responses to LISTSERV commands are coming the
>normal route and getting here promptly, but mail from the list is taking a
>long detour and in some cases vanishing totally.

Natalie:

The concept of "hop" applies to bitnet.  You are subscribed under your
Internet address, and LISTSERV, as well as LMail has no information that
anything in the msstate.edu subdomain in any way relates to any bitnet
node esp. MSSTATE.

Here is the abstracted output of a MAIL DEBUG=YES distribute for WORDS-L
when sent (of course) to LISTSERV@UGA:

CS.MSSTATE.EDU                 goes to PUCC     (051) - single recipient
MSSTATE                        goes to UGA      (002) - single recipient
MSSTATE.EDU                    goes to PUCC     (051) - single recipient
RA.MSSTATE.EDU                 goes to PUCC     (051)

The implication being that PUCC, a backbone LISTSERV site, is the
bitnet/internet gateway for you.

The important thing to understand is that when you, as a subscriber,
receive mail from a WORDS-L distribution, you are being "batched" so
that LISTSERV can generate minimum traffic, BASED UPON information
configured by your site's Network Administrator in various databases:
BITEARN NODES (:INTERNET tag), the DOMAIN NAMES, and very possibly a
mailer.  As best that I can tell, MSSTATE has provided no particular
distribution/routing instructions, so that you end up getting default
distributions for the .EDU subdomain.

This algorithm is DIFFERENT when you as an individual ask LISTSERV at
UGA to do something, such as a REVIEW or INDEX -- then you are NOT
batched --

 tell mailer@uga sh route ra.msstate.edu
 From UGA(MAILER): * RA.MSSTATE.EDU is routed as follows:
 From UGA(MAILER): * <.EDU> UGA SMTP BSMTP NETDATA S=SMTP,SMTPL

I do not know why you are not receiving certain distributions.

/Pete ([log in to unmask])
--
Peter M. Weiss                     |              oas.psu.edu postmaster
31 Shields Bldg -- Penn State Univ.| "He was a couple of diskettes short