Adam Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:25:21 -0600
On 1/25/99 1:00 PM, Dave Wilson <[log in to unmask]> wrote...

> On 25-Jan-99 Pete Weiss wrote:
>> I'm intolerant of AOL bounces and on the first one IMMEDIATELY delete the
>> userid.  Often the reason is either for a full mailbox or a change (or
>> removal) of handle.  In either case, there's nothing that I or AOL can do
>> about it.
>
> Guys,
>
> Sorry, it looks like I wasn't clear enough. The problem at the moment is that
> messages are being dropped *silently*. And it's more than just AOL, it's
> other subscribers on the backbone.

If your problem is with the backbone, then the information I am now
giving does not apply (in this case). But since I'm still unclear as to
the full nature of your problem, I figured I'd offer anyways.

AOL has VERY strict rules on what it will accept in a message, in an
attempt to weed out UBE[1]. If the headers have even minor problems, they
will be relegated to /dev/null without warning.

In my years as working AOL support, both officially and unofficially,
I've run across a number of common problems:

     * Faulty or missing domain in From or Reply-To headers (including
spam
       blocks, or just listing the username without a FQDN).
     * Mail servers in the Received headers which do not respond to
reverse
       DNS lookups properly.
     * Messages which pass through a *common* server that doesn't
originate
       from the same server's dialup (ie: PSInet).
     * Messages which are relayed through a mail server hosted on a common
       dialup (ie: the aforementioned PSInet).

Additionally, certain mailing list servers try to deliver to too many
addresses in one connection for AOL's tastes, making AOL believe it is an
attempt to spam. However, I do not believe LISTSERV has ever been known
to trip this particular filter.

That covers 90% of the problems I run across which are actually AOL's
doing. Again, I don't know if it has anything to do with the problem you
are reporting, but it's worth checking into. If you are convinced that
this is AOL's fault, and want to perform further tests, contact me
off-list.

[1] Considering AOL members still get hit with a *massive* amount of UBE,
it frightens me to wonder just how much they'd be getting if it weren't
for these measures.

--
Adam Bailey    | Chicago, Illinois
[log in to unmask] | "Logic is the art of going wrong with