Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 17:53:38 -0500
[Pete Weiss]
> If I submit a JOB to LISTSERV that contains several subscription- related
> commands, while  LISTSERV is processing that  JOB, can other simultaneous
> LISTSERV functions occur that would impact the distributions [...]

LISTSERV  doesn't multi-task:  while  it's processing  your  mail,  it does
nothing else.  This makes life simpler by eliminating concurrency issues, a
source of many  bugs in some MLM's.  The  downside of this approach is that
there are occasional significant delays of even minor work while the server
runs big jobs like database searches ...  but, because  people deal with it
by  mail and expect  some  delays, the  extra  time is  rarely noticed.  On
average  it's still faster than the  multitasking  MLM's because it doesn't
have the overhead of watching for concurrency boobytraps.

Norm
--
"Miners refuse to work after death"