Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 16:47:06 -0400
On Mon, 17 Jun 1996 21:17:42 +0200, Eric Thomas wrote:
>Well, just  FYI... The little alligator  first appeared in 1930  or so on
>the font of  a TENNIS shirt worn  by a (then) famous  tennis player whose
>name was Lacoste and who was nicknamed "the alligator".

I believe Henri LaCoste's nickname was the Crocodile (sounds considerably
more competitive! besides LaCoste is French and alligators are North
American)  The character REALLY is a crocodile (hence, the wonderful though
shortlived--accused of violation of copyright--LaCroak shirts witht the
dead crocodile on them :-)

/s Murph Sewall                                 (860) 486-2489 voice
   Marketing Department                         (860) 456-7725 fax
   http://mktg.sba.uconn.edu/MKT/Faculty/Sewall.html