Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Mar 1992 21:04:41 +0100
On Tue, 17 Mar 1992 14:24:44 EDT Paul Hyland <PHYLAND@GWUVM> said:

>Whenever a  non-BITNET subscriber requests  a file from  our fileserver,
>they get two notes -- one  containing the requested file, and the second
>containing information about resource usage involved in fulfilling their
>request. The second note does not go to BITNET users.

If the BITNET user orders the  file via TELL/SEND, he gets an interactive
message confirming that  the file is being sent, and  the file itself via
NJE: no  note at all. If  he orders the file  via mail, he gets  the same
note as the Internet user, plus the requested file of course.

>Is there any way to avoid sending  that note to everyone? It provides no
>useful information,  and can only  confuse users and possibly  make them
>think  that there  is  a  problem --  especially  users unfamiliar  with
>messages from IBM mainframes.

The note provides useful information: it indicates that the file has been
sent. If the file is large, this may avoid having the user order it again
and again for lack of any reply. If  you don't want the note, you can ask
not to get it, but the syntax  for doing that will be even more confusing
than the note could ever be.

  Eric