Liam Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:05:34 -0400
>> It's the #1 complaint of my listowning friends, and of my subscribers
>> as well, who get huge messages with "me too" at the bottom.

I would certainly agree that some sort of filter for excessively quoted
text would be a godsend in theory, but I honestly can't think of an
effective way that it could be implemented.  Even if such a filter were
completely configurable by the list owner, how would an owner determine
that (x) number of quoted lines is too many, or (x)% of the message can be
quoted text?  One couldn't arbitrarily say that 30 lines of text is enough,
because obviously a lengthier original post may legitimately warrant a
longer quote.  Likewise, one couldn't do it on a proportional basis,
because there may well be a twenty line question with a five line answer
that also would benefit from quoting the original text.  IMHO, it seems
like such a feature would be largely ineffective, no matter how flexible.
Because it's really the _relevance_ of the quoted text that is the problem,
not the length.  And no piece of software can determine that.  As much as
it's no fun for a list owner to "police" his list, the solution really
needs to be responsible posting on the part of the subscriber, not gestapo
software that kills posts with more than (X) lines of quoted text.

--Liam Kelly