Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 13:42:38 -0500
At 10:10 AM 2/27/97 EST, Debbie Douglass wrote:

[snip]

>I just sent the list again to the LISTSERV using the UNIX (SunOS
>4.1.3) command line 'mail' program (which is just about the most
>vanilla mail program with absolutely no MIME support that I know
>of)

Actually, that's about the second-most vanilla.
        sendmail -oi -t < file_with_headers_and_message
is probably the most vanilla.  (You may not have sendmail
in your default path.)

>and had the exact same results - one 'Invalid RFC822 address
>- 2AAACAA6zAAABB. Recipient ignored.'  message for each list
>member.

Just a thought... could there be a gateway somewhere mangling
(i.e., wrapping) your message *bodies*?

Switching subjects a bit...
Another thought (in conjunction with those who've suggested
changing defaults for GET, etc.) -- how about an option for
PUT which says "unless this works perfectly, don't do anything"
(at least in regards to subscriber lists).  Or maybe,
        PUT (HDR
to say that "nothing attached should be construed as a subscriber
list, despite what it might look like."  Just my two cents.

Going for three cents (pushing my luck here, I know) why not
just completely disable the ability to PUT subscriber lists,
since there are other ways, reportedly always safer, to do this?

Cheers,
Stan