Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 20:01:42 -0700
At 12:59 AM 12/20/98 -0800, Lichen wrote:
>Your comments have given me pause to reflect on the meaning of the
>educational system as a whole and the valuable service that is being
>provided by SJU and other universities.  I should preface my remarks by
>saying that  I feel immensely grateful to SJU and their community sprited
>attitude, even if they are not consciously supporting the program of lists.

I am also grateful for those that do this service.  Of course Eric might
prefer that they used the LSoft services.  o-)

>The university, therefore, ought to repay its obligation to the community and
>one of the ways it can accomplish it to make university facilities
available to
>the public.

No argument.  And I'm glad that they can do it.  My comments were based,
however, on the apparent disarray or confusion with many of the lists.
That may be a result of them limiting the resources that are provided for
free lists.  I believe if you're going to do anything you should do it
well.  I'd rather run fifty lists well than two hundred badly.  I also am
VERY unforgiving of those who are ungrateful and who are less than polite
with those who are giving them something.  I don't expect my backside to be
kissed, but I also don't expect rude or hostile treatment.

>2.  Mandate of the university is community education.

OK.  I agree for state or other public universities, such as where I work.
And since SJU is sponsored by the Church, and they are worldwide, it is
good that they can do the things they do.

>3. Students and faculty are often pursuing academic goals which
>may not include support.  SJU lists are primarily support  Narrow interests.

If the academic goals relate to the lists, then I'd have absolutely no
argument. Most academic interests are very specialized and narrow....it
goes with the territory.

>4.  A more egalitarian society if those who are not "academic" can
>access discussion groups and support groups.

That is good.  However, there are so many other ways and places that people
can have lists started, that I don't think this is very valid any more.
Back in 88-93 it was true....but not really now.  I started a list named
Postcard in 91.   Now there are four other lists related to postcard
collecting, all from various "free sites" (meaning, of course the listowner
doesn't pay cash, and gets what he pays for).  Obviously in many
specialized areas people are willing to pay Eric and friends some money,
however.  o-)

>5.  Demonocratization of the net....a truly internantional community.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with international, but.....

>6.  An option for further research and innovative community interaction.

Hmmmm.....I was on a list someone wanted to "do research" on....and I'd
rather not experience that level of hostility, anger, and irritation again.
 And lists are hardly innovative these days.

So, I do understand your points.  And Boise State does many of those
things.  However, InfoTech is continually trying to keep their head above
water with moving to several new systems, etc, etc....same as at most
places.  And the funding just isn't there to do all the altruistic things
at this time.  At times in the past we ran more "marginal" or "service"
lists.  The only ones of those left are for a few faculty (such as me) who
can do ALL their own work and not call on the IT guys at all.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
[log in to unmask]   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/