"Fletes, Raul" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:12:13 -0500
Rich,

Please see example below.  I'm getting at least 20 of these a day...

Raul.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Greenberg [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2001 12:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Spammed by SPAM notices

On: Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 11:36:08AM -0500,Fletes, Raul Wrote:

} Somehow our Listserv is sending messages to the owner about SPAM warnings.
} However, these notices are in themselves annoying SPAMs...
} How can I turn them off ?
}
} What is throwing me off for loop is that they are being sent by my
Listserv,
} thus
} somehow my Listserv is getting these messages from LSOFT...

Raul,  Can you please post an example?

--
Rich Greenberg   Work:  Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com   +1
770-563-6656

EXAMPLE:

A   network   wide   spamming   alert    has   just   been   received   from
[log in to unmask]      concerning     messages      posted     by
[log in to unmask]  to  multiple LISTSERV  lists.  For  the next  48
hours, all  messages posted  by [log in to unmask] to  local mailing
lists will be forwarded to the list owners for verification. The poster will
not be  informed when  this happens, to  make it more  difficult for  him to
re-target the  lists which  successfully repelled the  spam. The  poster has
been  informed by  [log in to unmask] that  his access  to certain
lists would  be subject to human  verification, but no further  details were
provided. A copy of the  original alert from [log in to unmask] is
enclosed.

A "spam"  is an advertisement  or other  unsolicited material sent  to large
numbers  of mailing  lists  with no  consideration for  whether  or not  the
material is appropriate for  the lists it is being sent  to. A single "spam"
can  result  in  the  delivery  of  millions  of  unwanted  e-mail  messages
worldwide,  costing the  victims and  service providers  a total  of several
hundred thousand  dollars. The  cost to  the spammer  is usually  under five
dollars. To be effective, a  counter-measure must neutralize the spam within
the first five minutes. Consequently, there  is no time for all the LISTSERV
servers to compare notes with each  other before acting, and some legitimate
postings may be intercepted erroneously.

A message  with subject "Fw: Invito  alla conferenza sulla crisi  degli Enti
scientifici - Roma  19 aprile 2001" posted  by [log in to unmask] to
the  ORGANI-CHIM list  at  CNR.IT has  been identified  as  a possible  spam
because  [log in to unmask]  had   previously  posted  an  identical
message to a large number of LISTSERV lists.