"Duane D. Weaver" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 18 Mar 1992 15:28:01 EST
Thrid mail. /dw

On Wed, 11 Mar 1992 10:04:29 EST Duane D. Weaver said:
>When I receive mail stating that the userid is invalid or an unknown
>user, I usually just delete the subscriber from the list.  If the rejection
>mail is due to an unknown host, I usually delete the rejection mail, and
>wait to see if the same error occurs in a couple of days.  Then I delete
>the subscriber from the list.
>
>On a recent occasion, I deleted a group of users from the same site,
>due to being inavlid userids.   I later learned that the error message
>was a in error as the rejection mail was caused by a fluke in their system.
>
>What do other list owners/ LISTSERV postmasters do in handling rejection
>mail?   If the rejection mail is for a Internet site, do you try PINGing
>the host site?
If I can easily understand the rejection mail(not a given these days),
I delete them immediately on the first, unless it is very obvious from
the message that this is likely to be a transient problem.  (Unless
the rejection message was distributed via the list, then its immediately.
No questions asked, even if I have to GET the list).  Others I have to
GET the list, and compare.  When I get complaints(relatively rarely -
possibly because I use a QUIET DEL.) I point then at their local
site postmaster, identifying that they either need a more informative
message, or to solve their problem that caused the rejection.
I know this can sound brutal or harse, but like you I just don't have the
time for more.

>So what do you do?
>Comments?   Discussion?
>Duane