W Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 20:02:10 -0230
Mario Rups wrote:

> The entire Smithsonian Institute seems to have been targetted.  Various
> authorities there are also working on it.
>
> I didn't see it spammed to any list, and I didn't get a copy myself.
>
> Wonder what the source of the addresses might have been?  This is getting
> quite intriguing.

In Newfoundland it was a K-12 network called "StemNet" that got copies
of the message.  I saw a copy someone posted on SPAM-L.  It apparently
circulated in Ontario as well.  There were some indications that it was
not bona fide:  the person I spoke to at the RCMP said it seemed to use
some vocabulary that genuine merchants of such stuff would never use.
But that still makes it a reprehensible act, and shows how vulnerable we
are in some respects.

Bill

--
W. Schipper                         Email: [log in to unmask]
Department of English,              Tel: 709-737-4406