"M. LEBLANC" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:05:39 EST
Hi all. :-)

In January, there was a short thread about the mysterious "=20".

I've looked over the other answers in this thread via the lstown-l
archives and am still stumped.

I have a subscriber who's posted an important series of articles,
which he posts annually.
They came through with many in the series of 6 articles peppered
throughout with "=20" and "3D=". (no quotes of course ...) The
=20 appear at the end of lines, while the =3D appear in strings,
at the top of some paragraphs. (As in: =3D=3D=3D=3D etc.)

The subscriber is no tyro and says he posted these the same way he has
for years. Obviously *something* is different though!

A non-subscriber posted a couple of these to usenet as a test. They
appeared both on usenet and arriving via the gateway for approval with
the same garbage, so it has nothing to do with Listserv(R). :-)

Here are examples of the header lines appearing on both those parts
that posted without the junk, and those that posted with the junk, when
posted by the subscriber.
They look the same to me.

>Subject:      Waiting For A Miracle -- part 1 of 6
>From:         xxxx xxxxxxx <[log in to unmask]>
>Date:         1997/02/07
>Sender:       The Bob Dylan Discussion List <[log in to unmask]
EDU

>Comments:     Gated by [log in to unmask]
>Approved-By:  subscriber <[log in to unmask]>
>Newsgroups:   rec.music.dylan

This posted to HWY61-L and was gated to usenet's r.m.d. with
no =20
no =3D=3D=3D

>Subject:      Waiting For A Miracle -- part 6 of 6
>From:         xxxx xxxxxxx <[log in to unmask]>
>Date:         1997/02/09
>Sender:       The Bob Dylan Discussion List <[log in to unmask]
EDU

>Comments:     Gated by [log in to unmask]
>Approved-By:  subscriber <[log in to unmask]>
>Newsgroups:   rec.music.dylan

This posted to HWY61-L and was gated to usenet's r.m.d. with
plenty of =20
plenty of =3D=3D=3D

Any ideas? The Mime-Version: 1.0 and a switch that need to be reset,
maybe?
The Content-Type: text/plain; charset=X-Roman8 perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any ol' clue. :-)

Maureen :-)