Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:24:59 -0600
On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:56:50 -0500, Winship <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Anyway, something I thought of last night, in a situation like this,
>where the logs are too large for your system to handle when you need
>to edit, why not make the logs smaller, at least temporarily?  Like,
>say you have monthly notebooks, just change them to weekly, (if they're
>weekly change to daily, daily->hourly).  You can then get the smaller
>log, edit, and put it back, then change back to your preferred larger
>notebook setup.

Good idea, but changing the LOGS from Monthly to Weekly only changes the logs
going forward.  Previous log files remain as they were and are not changed.  You
would still have a huge file to deal with.

If you really want to get fancy (and are not faint of heart), you might try to
convert a Monthly log file into weekly by breaking the file into appropriate
'chunks' (not equal size but Day 1-7, Day 8-14, etc).  However, you still need
direct access to the server to create the necessary 'stub files' of the proper
log name  (listname.LOG0105A, listname.LOG0105B, listname.LOG0105C,
listname.LOG0105D, listname.LOG0105E)  before you can do a PUT.  This is a
security measure to prevent arbitrary files from being uploaded to LISTSERV.
The file name must already exist on the server or the PUT will fail.  That can
only be done by an Admin person with proper access.