"H.J. Woltring, fax/tel +31.40.413 744" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 25 May 1992 22:53:00 N
Dear fellow LSTOWN-L readers,

> Date: Mon, 25 May 92 14:21:07 EDT
> From: Editors of PMC <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: RE: nomail for
>
> OK--I gave the command "Fortran" and it said "no filename specified"
> so I tried "fortran nomail for" and bingo, it compiled it, producing
> a nomail module and several other related files; so far so good.
> Unfortunately, it won't accept my list--even though the list is present
> on the filelist and was retrieved according to instructions--GET (nolock

Having read the above posting on apparent problems with the NOMAIL FOR(TRAN)
program, I can only say that there was not sufficient information to pinpoint
the problem.  Possibly, the above command merely created an object deck, and
not an executable file -- but I am a layman as regards IBM main frames:

As mentioned, my little program works well under MS-DOS (PC's) and VAX/VMS
with the raw list file retrieved via the standard command GET list_name
(with or without the NOLOCK option) and, once arrived at my VAX/VMS site,
retrieved with the standard, local JNET RECEIVE command.  The syntax provided
in the above quoted posting seems to suggest, though, that it was not issued
on a VAX/VMS or MS-DOS system; indeed, via the command SEND NODENTRY NCSUVM
to [log in to unmask], it appears that ncsuvm.cc.ncsu.edu is the registered
Internet alias for NCSUVM.BITNET, an IBM 4381-M12 machine at North Carolina
State University (you can also find this out by sending SHOW ALIAS NCSUVM
to any LISTEARN site, e.g., [log in to unmask]).

Since I will not be available after the end of this week, I'm afraid that
I cannot give any further support: the s/w was provided `as is', and anyone
having problems with it would be well-advised to talk with local FORTRAN
and networking gurus.  Portability of FORTRAN and similar languages between
hardware platforms is a classical problem by now, especially as regards I/O.

With kind regards,

Herman J. Woltring <[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]>
Moderator, [log in to unmask] (aka [log in to unmask])