Shahjehan Khatri <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 7 Nov 1993 11:28:44 -0800
One of our LISTSERV@ASUACAD (a.k.a.
[log in to unmask]) users pointed out that several of the
subscribers to the lists he owned had addresses of the form
[log in to unmask] .  Those persons addressed their
subscription requests to [log in to unmask]  Their mailers
routed their mail through MAILER@ASU .  The mailer at ASU, PMDF,
when forwarding the mail to ASUVM, substituted username@node with

Now when these subscribers send mail (From: username@node) to those
lists directly (addressing their mail to listname@ASUACAD instead of
[log in to unmask]), LISTSERV rejects their mail on the
grounds that those people are not subscribed.

I do not know if this is legitimate, but BITMAIL@SUVM, for instance,
seems to look at the following information in DOMAIN NAMES,

:nick.ASU.EDU      :mailer.MAILER@ASU             BSMTP  3
:mformat.ND PU
:site.Arizona State University

and ship all mail addressed to [log in to unmask] to

Would an additional period after ":nick" above do us any good?

Another option, of course, is to change the PMDF configuration to
route mail to ASUVM through NJE, rather than SMTP.  Then PMDF would
not attach @ASU.EDU to BITNET addresses.

I am sure this problem has been discussed in the past and has been
"addressed" properly.  Sorry I have been in a cave all this while.

Any comments will be appreciated.  Incidentally, we are running
LMail version 1.1d/1.7f and LISTSERV version 1.7f (FIX17F2).

  Shah