Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 08:57:22 -0500
On: Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 01:01:36PM +1000,Michael Shannon Wrote:

} >I recently added a content filter entry to my list's mailtpl but I
} >misspelled the template name.  I used ">>> Content-Filter" when it
} >should have been ">>> Content_Filter".  But the PUT finished with no
} >error, just didn't put the filter in.
} [...]
} >
} >Shouldn't this have been caught as an error?
}
} How did you set the template up in the first place?  If you went into the
} List Management interface, clicked the Templates button, then entered a
} new name in the box and clicked the Create button, LISTSERV will happily
} accept whatever name you enter.

I originally did it by email (I prefer the email interface to the wed
interface).  I took my existing mailtpl and added the new one at the
end.
i.e:

PUT listname.mailtpl
   original mailtpl
>>> Content-Filter
   filter data

} If you misspell an existing template's name (or a commonly used one that
} isn't present yet), LISTSERV won't complain because it's assuming you
} *want* to create a template with that name.

OK, but the creation was somewhat less than useful in this case.

} >The server is Lsoft's apple which is (I think) running 14.3.
}
} Yes, it is.  You were able to fix the problem by renaming the template but
} you didn't even have to do this in the first place.

No, I fixed it by correcting the typo in the saved mailtpl file and
PUTting it again.  The PUT completely replaces the existing mailtpl
file.

--
Rich Greenberg N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507
Eastern time zone.   I speak for myself & my dogs only.     VM'er since CP-67