"Lee J. Silverman" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Mar 1995 12:54:24 -0500
On Thu, 23 Mar 1995, Edis Bevan wrote:

> The latest round of 'publicity' by Cantor and Siegel comes from
> this adress
>            [log in to unmask] (Cybersell -tm)
>
> Tis looks like a compuservish address before the @
>      but birds.wm.edu  is the host for the lISTSERV carrying the
> spammed list.   Odd. Is there a new SPAMBEATER avoider routine
> here  ?

        There might be.  One of the lists that I run received a similiar
message, but from:

Again, the first is a bizarre lookinging string, the second is the domain
name of the machine running the list.  (It's not a listserv list yet --
we're still migrating).

        They are also posting to usenet newsgroups, with message ID's
of the form:

Which is, of course, totally bogus.  I don't *think* they posted directly
to the mailing list.  Rather, they posted to a usenet group which is
mirrored by the mailing list, and the post was mirrored.  The mirroring
software may have somehow decided that the mail came from the machine
that mirrors the newsgroup, but I'm not sure exactly how.

Lee Silverman, Brown class of '94, Brown GeoPhysics ScM '95
Email to: [log in to unmask]
Phish-Net Archivist: [log in to unmask]
"Nonsense - you only say it's impossible because nobody's ever done it."