Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 14:36:59 -0400
> Problem user has some of my subscribers upset.

I would be concerned both about this abuser's tirades continuing, but
also about the list-owner seeming to take an arbitrary action.  It will
be better if it's clear that the abuser is being restrained because of a
rule violation rather than because the list-owner "simply decided" to ban
that person.

An implicit rule in all groups is that messages must be on-topic.  If I
were you, I would post a public notice addressed specifically to the
abuser saying that off-topic messages are not allowed, and violators may
be sanctioned.  The next time he posts abusive material, then boot him out
immediately.  In this case, it would be clear that you didn't take action
because of your personal preferences but rather because of a rule which
applies to everyone.

-- Roger Burns    [log in to unmask]