"Geert K. Marien" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 May 1995 20:40:34 EDT
   I  don't see  what everyone  is so  upset about.   Just because  some
countries are suffering at the hands of conservatives does not mean that
any   of  the   laws  that   they   are  proposing   that  are   clearly
unconstitutional, and I refer to those in the U. S. and Canada because I
am familiar with them, will stand any sort of test.

   All of the  laws now proposed are against the  consitution of the two
countries, especially by  being over broad - which, for  example, is why
the U. S. Justice department won't  support the Exon proposals - and are
unenforceable.

   We have withstood  attacks on freedom before.   Computer networks, so
far, have generally fallen into the  same category as printed and spoken
words.  Thus,  they are protected in  the same manner.  The  medium does
not make a difference.

   The reason people  are after computers is because  certain people can
not control or manipulate the Internet the  way they can buy air time on
radio and TV.  The  internet has been the most free of  any of the media
and is  the one way  that anyone, even the  poorest amongst us,  can say
what we want to.

   When  people with  certain interest  in controlling  and manipulating
what is said want to change laws  to suit what they thing is "right" and
"correct", we all suffer.

   If  you remove  your lists,  they have  succeeded in  their goal:  to
intimidate you into  shutting up.  If you shut up,  you have surrendered
your right to  free speech, and, in the process,  have cost others their
rights as well.

   I fear  none of these people  and I don't  fear a law suit  because I
know the  law and  can argue  effectively for free  speach, if  the need
arises.

   If you  are the medium of  expression, you can't be  held responsible
for what is posted in an open forum unless you knowingly allow something
illegal to be posted, and provided that that item is really illegal, and
not open to moral judgement.  And, it will have to be shown that this is
the case by the prosecution.

   Enough said.

**  Geert K. Marien : [log in to unmask]  (Bitnet: GKMQC@PUCC)  **
**   ListOwner: AIRLINE, NODEINFO, RAILROAD, STAMPS, The INDIA List   **
**    (All contents are my own opinions - unless otherwise stated)    **