Alex Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:31:32 EDT
Greetings...

Someone posted a virus to one of my lists, POLICE-L, yesterday.

LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU is running LISTSERV(R) for NT 1.8d and I do
have Attachments= No in the list header.  Still, this one
slipped through.  I'd love to know why and/or whether there's
anything (else) that can be done to prevent it from happening
again.

My first thought was that it wasn't really an attachment (for
lack of boundary).  But this is in the message header:

Also, a number of subscribers reported that their anti-virus
programs snagged the post, and they even snagged the DIGEST
messages containing the post.

Rather than include the entire message here (where it would
only cause further concern), I've thrown it up here:

http://members.home.net/lists/police-lpost.htm

What you see there is exactly what I got when reading the
post here in my VM account.

Obviously, my subscribers are concerned.  Any advice on what I
can tell them?

Has anyone else dealt with this before?  Is this the first time
someone has seen an attachment that doesn't act like an attachment?

Thanks.

- Alex, list owner of POLICE-L    [log in to unmask]
Alex Rudd                [log in to unmask]            ARS KA2ZOO
{Standard Disclaimer}    http://www.police-l.org/