Tom Newell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 12:21:06 -0500

> On the subject of Error Message Blues (which *is* an appropriate topic
> for this list!), I wanted to point out again that the Owner Digest
> concept contains all owner mail - errors, notifications, owner mailbox,
> listserv daily monitoring report, and so on.   The Owner Digest is a
> custom list I set up at our site, an experiment, using mail filters, so that
> error messages are only 60 lines long (even rejected digests; all are
> truncated).  It gets rid of the excessive size of the errors (like
> digests) and makes your inbox much simpler, since you only get 1 message
> per day.  You just forward that one message to listserv, and cut and
> paste for whatever work you need to do; fast and simple.

I like the concept of the Owner Digest but would observe that even
"clipped" and "summarized" reporting on large lists is, frankly,
not a solution.  For the two lists SCOUT-REPORT (25K+) and
(10K+) NET-HAPPENINGS, I receive no less than 3000 messages daily
related to various errors - no amount of truncating will reduce
that to a manageable size.

I need a tool which will filter "transient" failures from what one
might consider "real" errors.  I'd rather not have to do this with
procmail or some other mail filtering utility.   I recognize that
this is not an easy request.

While I've got you reading this, I'd like to again suggest that
a daily digest numbering capability be implemented.  The
NET-HAPPENINGS list currently has the digest line limit set to
600 in order to deal with a number of subscriber complaints and to
avoid message-truncation problems or splitting problems (AOL).
We average 1-3 digests daily at this rate and it seems confusing to
our readers to receive what appears to be the same message 3 times.
This doesn't seem a difficult request and if it's a feature I've
missed, I'd be happy to hear the solution.

Thanks,

Tom

--

Tom Newell              [log in to unmask]    +1 703 742 4796
NIC Liaison             InterNIC Support Services