Liz Marr <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 21:18:09 -0800
On 15 Feb 97, Dan Lester wrote:

> Actually, you should never get the whole list.  You should do a
>
> get listname (hdr nol
>
> That will send you only the headers, which is all you can usefully edit.
> And if you only got headers, then no reason to lock it.  Even if there are
> multiowners, the worst you'd do is undo the other's changes.  And you
> shouldn't be changing headers very often anyway.

Am I the only one in the world who keeps a copy of my current header on my home
PC and only uses a "put" and never a "get"?  I can get a copy of the current
header by using a "rev" and trimming off the list of people at the bottom.
(who knows, there's probably a shortcut for getting one without the list)  This
way my list is not ever locked.  I edit my header, save the changes, and then
send it off to the server -- no locking needed.  I only recommend this with
lists that only have one owner editing the header.

A word of caution, never send a command to the server with your signature line
-- especially headers and templates.  You would be amazed at the commands that
a server thinks it sees in a signature line and how bad it can mess up your
list!

Liz

          Liz & the Terv Herd
  Somewhere on the beautiful Oregon coast