"Stephen W. Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 29 Apr 1994 19:03:59 -0400
James Ford <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> I frequently have to delete users from my list (bounces, etc).  I have a
> file called PMAIL FAREWELL which I though would be sent to each deletion.
> Is this an incorrect assumption?  How can I delete a user and have this
> message automagically be sent to them?

No, James, I think this is incorrect.  In "Changes from release 1.7e
to 1.7f" that Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> posted on 4 April 1993,
he writes:

> - A "farewell message" can be defined  for a mailing list, using the same
>   procedure as for  the welcome message but with a  filetype of FAREWELL.
>   The farewell  message is  sent to any  user who signs  off the  list by
>   himself, but not to  users who are removed by the list  owner, as it is
>   expected to contain a message to users who chose to leave on their own,
>   rather  than to  misbehaving users.  The  first line  of this  farewell
>   message must be a 'Subject:' field.

I can't help you with the automagically part.  I've been meaning to
learn the command... GIVE, I think, with which one person can
send another a file which I would use immediately after a DEL (except
for misbehaving users :-).

Hope this helps.  En paz,
Steve
--
Stephen W. Thompson, U. of PA, Data Administration, 215-898-1236
[log in to unmask] -OR- [log in to unmask]