"Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 10:06:57 -0400

>Hello.
>
>Guess I'm gonna post this and get it out into the daylight.
>
>This thing was posted to rec.music.dylan, the ng that is gatewayed
>to HWY61-L.
>
>It probably wouldn't be so scary if this hadn't actually already
>happened to me at a concert. It doesn't feel the way "it
>reads" when it actually happens to you.
>
>I expect to hear from aol.com about this. I've written to the person
>who subscribes here, from aol and have mailed to [log in to unmask] and
>
>Am I entitled to know this person's name? Location? What if (s)he is
>in this city? What are my rights?
>
>Do we have rights?
>
>How long does aol hold onto its logs? What other questions should I be
>asking?
>
>BTW, my inclination is to moderate this through to the list when
>it shows up in order to get it into the archives.
>
>Anyone have an opinion on that? Am I thinking straight?
>
>Thanks. Sorry to drag in such a stinker. I just need advice.
>

>Maureen
>HWY61-L

After having read the article in question, I can not be entirely sure
that the method of intent was not sarcasm, and even then, perhaps it was
sarcasm in both the initial thread as well as the reply.

As far as I understand it, AOL will not give out names and addresses of
their subscribers unless you happen to have some sort of legal authority
to recieve it.

Your rights, as a list owner, are pretty well defined.  You can remove the
offending person/people from the list.  You can set them to nopost,
review, or the like...

However, I'd be cautious before taking any action to see whether or not
there was any malicious intent in either of the original messages.

The questions you should be asking are with regard to the poster's intent.
 Did they actually mean what they wrote, or was it sarcastic?  Would the
comment make a big deal if it hit the list and the newsgrop?  (Sometimes,
you have to choose your battles...)  Are you willing to offer second
chances to misguided posters?

AOL probably doesn't hold on to logs for a long period of time.  The logs
themselves would get to big for them to even store it otherwise.

As to your last question, are you thinking straight, I think that you are,
but you might also, possibly, be jumping to conclusions.  I would think
that a further dialogue (via private e-mail) with the various parties of
this thread may be enlightening to that regard.

Glenn, who says these things knowing full well he would take your exact
reaction had he been in the same circumstances.  Sometimes, being able to
sit back and examine things from a distance can be a great help.