Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 02:02:04 +0200
On    Tue,    21    Oct     1997    18:49:20    EDT    Maureen    Leblanc
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>>I could probably get his account closed for X days, but what would this
>>accomplish?
>
>It would inconvenience the jerk. That's better than nothing.

Maybe, but it isn't worth my time.  It's not just the time of getting the
account closed, it's  the petty war it  leads to. I annoy  you, you annoy
me, you threaten to annoy me more,  I threaten to annoy you more, I annoy
you more, you annoy me more, etc.  I just don't have the time or patience
for this. When people annoy me, they  usually get away with it until they
REALLY  annoy  me.  Then  they  are sorry  to  have  made  the  incorrect
assumption that I  could be harassed endlessly and would  never hit back.
This saves all the little wasteful steps.

>I  think this  person crossed  a line  and should  be inconvenienced  by
>having to get a new account somewhere else. If (s)he does the same thing
>at another account, then that account ought to be pulled too.

Yes, well, this can go on for a while and lead nowhere.

>This  happens  to spammers  all  the  time.  Their accounts  get  pulled
>repeatedly for spamming.

Are there statistics on the aggregated  number of hours of sleep that the
spam community has lost over this? ;-)

>aol.com  can't  require its  membership  to  have  ... *taste*  or  good
>*judgement*  or  whatever  your  favorite  term  for  what  this  person
>lacks might be, but can't it require its members to be legal?

Have you reported  her to the police?  What do you have to  show that she
has done something illegal? How can you  expect AOL to believe you if you
don't have any piece of paper to show for it?

>Where  is the  outrage  (or is  it  common sense?)  that  would allow  a
>provider like aol to say: "You've gone too far.

Lawyers ate it for breakfast :-)

>At least my husband and I know who  to go after if I'm hit again and the
>person who did it gets away again: This person and aol.

In what way is AOL responsible for that? Or the company that provided the
phone with which they called the thug?

  Eric