"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 20 Feb 1994 16:59:00 EST
>On Sat, 19 Feb 1994, Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843 wrote:

>> Here is a basic FILTER= for errant "postmasters".  Just add it like
>> any other LISTSERV list keyword:
>>
>> * Filter= Also,postmaster@*,*postmstr*@*,emailadmin@*

>Sorry for being a moron, but what exactly, in dummy-proof terms, does
>this accomplish (and is it something I shoudl do on my lists).

It has been my experience that adding the above (kind) of postmaster-
type filters to a list definition helps to prevent e-mail loops.  You
don't ever want one on a list that you manage, unless your a sadist
and/or a masochist.

The above filters prevent those userids (even wild-card) from posting
to your list (most important on Send= Public lists).  If a postmaster-
type userid posts to your list, it is generally because of two errors:
(1) another postings FROM a user caused a "bounce" at one of your
subscriber's sites, (2) that bounce was sent to the list INSTEAD OF
the owner-LIST.

(2) then causes a NEW message to be sent to the list thus provoking
action (1), followed in rapid succession by (2), ...

Later, action (3) occurs: (almost) each list subscriber sending you
and/or the list a message about a loop.  Then action (4) occurs which
is usually users' mailbox disk quotas being exceeded (with more
messages to owner-LIST) which usually results in (5) you setting their
distribution options to NOMail and NOFile (or simply UNSUB them).

You will not make any friends by NOT setting the FILTER=, and may
even find a lot of folks signing off your list.

If you don't know how to set your list's headers, ask your list-manager.

/Pete ([log in to unmask])  --  co-owner  INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L,  et -L
--
Peter M. Weiss         "The 'NET' never naps"             +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA

E-mail the following to listserv@searn (@searn.sunet.se)

//ListSrch JOB Echo=no
Database Search DD=Rules OUTLIM=3000 f=mail
//Rules DD *
S * in lstown-l.1339
print
/*