"P. Divirgilio" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 14:23:16 -0400

> I have not yet received the text that one of my subscribers wishes
> to post anonymously so cannot as yet say what the reason is.  I
> agree that Flaming would not be a legitimate justification and
> would refuse to forward an anonymous flame.
>
> One possible scenario that I could envisage might be:
>   To avoid washing dirty linen in public yet wanting to get advice,
>     e.g.,   Such and such just occurred at my institution to me or
>         one of my colleagues.  It seems to me to be unethical/
>         illegal/unprofessional.  How do you suggest I/we react?
>
> Judith Hopkins, Listowner of [log in to unmask]
>   Internet: [log in to unmask]
>   Bitnet:   ulcjh@ubvm

  Yes, Judith, I believe that such a use might be valid or perhaps
  even a cry for help in some cases with a situation which has become
  so strained that all normal channels are closed. In such cases, that
  would be like the amnesty inteventions to protect the persecuted and
  find them safe homes while protecting them with the knowledge of
  their existence in the world eye. This would be very valid and as a
  scholar who writes on these subjects I would say a great
  humantiarian service. The other problem might be that your
  individual wants to correspond with a friendly environment or
  government which has shown expressed interest and cannot. It is true
  that privacy is dwindling and that with this situation the margin
  for debilitating machinations is increasing. If we can avert a
  tragedy, of course, we are obliged to do so by protecting the
  anonymity of the message, but at the same time we have to be careful
  that we are not further victimizing the victims by becoming a
  vehicle for falsehood. You are right as I contemplate the options.
  You need a declaration--perhaps even some type of UN guarantee
  or declaration of purpose of Amnesty International.
  Let's first see what kind of message you receive. If it is trivial,
  we will know that this is not a question of a "freedom trail" on the
  electronic superhighway so to speak.--Paul

--

Dr. Paul S. di Virgilio,  University of Toronto  [log in to unmask]