Randy Holder <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 16:12:16 -0600
Hope it's ok to ask this here and it is not a faq. I tried checking the faq
and didn't see it.

Ok here's the situation:

I manage two listserv lists; both are closed to the public and are for our
staff.  List A is the larger more general list.  List B is a specialized
group of staff and therefore is a subset of list A. I want persons on List
B to receive posts from List A in addition to normal posts. So, I've
subscribed List B to List A. This eliminates the need to subscribe new
hires to both lists.

This works well except that when List B distributes a post that was
originally sent to List A, it replaces the reply-to: header with its own
reply-to address.  So no one on list B can tell which list the post came
from. That causes another problem. If someone on list B replies to the
post, it only get's distributed on list B.

So in summary here's what I'm hoping to achieve:
The LIST-B address is subscribed to LIST-A.

#1) A post to LIST-A  goes to subscribers on both LIST-A and LIST-B.
-This works fine.

#2) A post to LIST-A shows that it's from LIST-A to subscribers that
receive it through LIST-B.

#3) A reply to a post on List-A goes to subscribers on both lists.
-A reply from a person on List-B currently goes to List-B subscribers only
not to the larger List-A.

#4) A post to LIST-B goes to LIST-B subscribers only.
-Works fine

#5) A reply to LIST-B goes to LIST-B subscribers only.
-Works fine.

I know this sounds like I'm a raving madman but, this is my best attempt to
describe the situation via e-mail.  This method almost works. If I could
just get #2 and #3 to work, it would be a perfect method.  Suggestions?
Please respond to me direct.  Thanks.

Randy H.
Computing Services
University of Arkansas