Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:42:22 -0400
On 9/27/2006 11:16, Pete Weiss wrote:
> I only have rudimentary knowledge of DNS, BUT ...
>
> There are three DNS that serve PHYSICS.ORG.  One (ns1-p.) of the three DNS hosts
 > appears NOT to exist.
>
> Talk to hostmaster at PHYSICS.ORG
>
> /P

The list owner needs to discuss this problem with the administrator of the DNS
service used by the server on which the list is hosted, or the mail server
through which list messages are sent, if the list server does not handle its
own outbound delivery. The list (or mail) server will send the DNS query to
the DNS server it is configured to use. If that DNS server cannot resolve the
query from its own database or cached data, it will refer the query to the DNS
server it is configured to use in these situations. This process will continue
until the query is answered either by a DNS server which has previously cached
a response to the same query, or the authoritative DNS server for the target
domain.

I used nslookup to find the MX host for the physics.org domain and received a
non-authoritative response from our local DNS server. That response listed
the MX host and three authoritative servers for the physics.org domain. I
issued the same query directly to each of those three servers and received the
same response from all three servers.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team