Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Aug 1995 17:19:05 CDT
On Mon, 14 Aug 1995 17:33:14 PDT you said:
>On Mon, 14 Aug 1995 16:00:00 PDT you wrote:
>>On Mon, 14 Aug 1995 13:02:33 PDT Dave Gomberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> One way to deal with Slaton and the like is to drop his provider
>>> from the MX servers, so that anyone who deals with him goes belly up.
>>> I would bet that the ISPs would get real tough real quick.
>>Dave, please give the technical details of how this can be done.
>Setup your DNS to resolve badboys.com to 255.255.255.255

   NO NO.  Even if you could please don't do that.  You would not only be
violating the rules by setting up a rogue authoritative server but
255.255.255.255 is a broadcast address.  Guess what SMTP server which carries
the bulk of the mail loops infinitely on that address?  uff da.

   Dave would have liked the wild west where he could just go in and shoot
someone who messed with his horse (come to think of it - that might describe
today too) but I have yet to be shown that most service providers aren't just
as anxious to prevent this stuff as we are.  Besides, I still really don't
think that two wrongs make a right...   ;-)

      Marty