Sun, 4 Apr 2004 04:17:25 -0500
On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, David Arthur wrote:
> We look at things this way.  It's on the honor system that people keep from
> cross-posting such material.  But there is no "legal" way to stop someone
> from doing this.

It is not currently possible to prevent (though some are working on that),
but there may be "legal" remedy after the event.  All depends upon how
certain you are right, how dedicated you are to pursuing it, and the depth
of your pockets.  And pursuing such legal remedy might give others pause in
future (some, not all).

Then, there is the argument that information should be free to all (which
information? define information), or at least restricted as little as
possible consistent with advancing the general public good.  Check the
background of, philosophy behind, the original U.S. copyright laws.

But, of course, some of this doesn't necessarily have to do with copyright,
but with contract and/or privacy laws (or just common decency).

Douglas Winship      [log in to unmask]