Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:44:40 -0600
On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:08:31 -0500, Craig Klassy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>1.  Only a certain address (or group) can post to the list

Send= Owner,Confirm
Owner= user1@address
Owner= user2@address

>2.  If any other tries to post, it will tell them that they cannot.  I do not want it moderated.

By this I assume you mean you don't want to have to use the OK/Confirm process.
Yes you absolutely do need and want this for 2 very excellent reasons.
 1) prevent mail forgery.  It is trivially easy to forge the From: address.
 2) prevent mail loops.  Certain bad addresses at certain mailers can 'reflect'
    back the original mail to the List, without changing the headers, so the
    mail appears to be new mail coming "From:" the authorized sender.  This
    will thus be resent out to all your subscribers again and again.  This
    will make them extremely unhappy.  This kind of event happens rather often.
    On the many lists hosted at L-Soft, it happens about 1-2 times per week, but
    is prevented by the ",Confirm".

The  ",Confirm" is your only line of defense against these.  You will be glad
you are using it as it will save you huge amounts of embarrassment.

>3.  I would like to change the sender line to appear to be sent by a specific person.

LISTSERV will never do this as it is a violation of internet mail standards.
See the FAQ http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/lsv-faq.stm#5.14
You need to use another mail program configured for the identity you want the
mail to appear to be From:.