Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 14:59:14 -0500
On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Dan Lester wrote:

> It also still has the look and feel of a kludge for people who have
> incredibly lame mail readers....

It is a fact that many people do not have a choice of whether or not use a
'lame' mail reader.  Online services like AOL and Compuserve provide one,
proprietary interface. Many corporate environments use the corporate choice
(PROFS, cc:mail, Microsoft, etc) and users have no option.

Even those that work on a system or with an ISP that does allow choice,
most people go with the provided package becasue they haven't the knowledge
or the need to find and configure another mail reader.  A surprising number
even use Netscape (which is a 'lame' mail reader, but a great web browser)!

I sometimes wish for the this feature too since I am on about 6 maillists
that all dump into my one account (not being a sys admin, I have to pay for
each account). I rely more on remembering the subject lines to 'sort' mail
mentally but if there were a short (max 6-8 chars) ID it might be nice.

 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]