Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Jan 1994 23:18:48 -0500
"Michael L. Bowden" <[log in to unmask]> asked:

> I am now getting brave enough to try and change the MAILFORMs for my list.
> But I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1)  The documentation I have say to get the $DEFAULT MAILFORM and modify
> them. How do I get the $DEFAULT MAILFORM.  I tried GET $DEFAULT MAILFORM
> but that did not work.

I believe that you need the assistance of the LISTSERV manager to
get and replace the MAILFORM.  The MAILFORMs use a sufficiently
powerful macro language to wreck havoc (either accidently or
deliberately) so mere owners don't usually get to do this
themselves.

In the most recent versions of LISTSERV, if a file exists in the
list's file area with the name WELCOME, that file is sent to new
subscribers *in addition to* the message to new subscribers in
the MAILFORMs.  We used to have custom mailforms, but we have
switched to using WELCOME files for all of the KIDLINK lists.  We
find this to be much easier.

> 2)  Is there a way to have 2 messages sent to each user when they subscribe
> to the list.  I have a "Welcome to" message and a questionnaire that I
> would like sent to each user.

From the answer above, you can see that it is possible to have a
custom MAILFORM that provides the "welcome to" message and a
WELCOME file that is actually your questionnaire.

                          Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
<<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>