Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:17:59 -0400
I'd like to offer e-mail to "listname-subscribe-request@listserv-domain"
as a subscription method for some of my lists, but some potential
subscribers have a terminally serious problem with it.  Perhaps I'm
missing something?

If the potential subscriber has not configured their e-mail with their
"FirstName LastName", Listserv (v14.5) sends the confirmation e-mail,
but when the potential subscriber clicks the URL s/he gets a web page
that says (for a "UMToday" mailing list):

    OK 485C1839

    Confirming:

     > QUIET SUBSCRIBE UMTODAY

    Please type your name after the name of the list, as in: "SUBSCRIBE
    UMTODAY

    Joe H. Smith". Alternatively, if you want to subscribe anonymously,
    send the

    command: "SUBSCRIBE UMTODAY Anonymous". Your subscription will then be

    hidden automatically.

Although the potential subscriber may read "Confirming", the
subscription request was *NOT CONFIRMED* and in fact failed. The text,
which may be appropriate to someone who used e-mail to
Listserv@domain-name to subscribe, is completely unintelligible to the
listname-subscribe-request person.

Is there a way to make this work, such as a configuration item to allow
no name or default to anonymous for these lists?

Thanks and cheers, wayne