Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 30 Jan 2011 20:40:01 -0400
This is true.

> The question of whether or not (and under what circumstances)
> to edit the list message archives, such as to remove
> "offending" messages has been debated here at great length.
> Personally, I believe that there are a few occasions when it
> may be either appropriate or necessary to so.  But the
> definition of "appropriate occasion" varies with different
> lists and different audiences.  I would say there is no
> universally agreed circumstance for doing so, except perhaps
> as a result of some legal judgement or law enforcement
> action.

I'd just like to add here that I've never done it, on the
(perhaps paranoid) assumption that it's a slippery slope. How
much editing of what was _really_ said can be refused, once
you've edited once (can you be just a little bit pregnant)? I
see myself spending my life manipulating the past so that people
are spared having accessible the evidence of what they actually
said. I tell those desperate folks that really you _can't_ take
it back, any more than you can take back what you said in a
conversation (and that the wayback machine's probably got it
stored, anyway).

-- Russ

> I'll now concentrate on the "how to".  In 15.5 you can easily delete
> individual messages via the WWW interface.  However, you must be in "Expert
> Mode" to do so.  In the upper right corner of the screen (top line above the
> blue bar) it usually says "Basic Mode | Edit Page".  Click on "Basic Mode"
> which takes you to the Preferences page.  The very first-listed option is
> Mode.  Change to "Expert Mode" and click on 'Update' button.
>
> Now go to your list message archives page and click on the Monthly/Weekly page
> (also known as the A1 page).  Beside each message listed, over to the right
> side will be a 'Trash can' icon.  Click this icon to delete the desired
> message.  You will be asked to confirm.  If you are sure you want to do so,
> then confirm your action.  As the message says, this step is irrevocable and
> cannot be undone.
>
> Repeat this for each desired message.  No, the process will not be made easier
> by allowing you check a bunch of boxes and delete multiple messages at once.
> The process is intentionally made inconvenient since it is assumed it will
> seldom be used.  This power/privilege is limited to List Owners (and Site
> Administrators).  Individual users cannot delete their own messages.
>
> There is a much more difficult way to do this by email that involves manual
> editing of the entire (monthly/weekly) message archive.  If you are so
> inclined, see the List Owner's FAQ page:
> http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/owner-faq.stm#_Toc81722881

Russ Hunt
Department of English
St. Thomas University