Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 14:09:44 -0500
If you mail the LISTSERV GLX e.g., [log in to unmask] and then do a

SUBSCRIBE listname firstname lastname

(assuming both lists are non-confidential), then you have an ambiguity.

Also, even related names cause otherwise knowledgeable users (and
subscribers) confusion.  E.g., I operate a list called FINAID-L that is
LISTSERV(R) based, yet there is another list "out there" that is related,
called FINNET-L (and not even LISTSERV(R)).  What's in a name? a lot --
some folks just can't figure out that they are different when they email
me asking to be unsubscribed from FINAID-L, and I ask they to provide me
with a copy of a recent message, which happens to be from FINNET-L. Even
re-distribution lists with the same name (different host) cause similar
confusion.

FURTHERMORE some listnames might relate to a proprietary product, and
I.P. (that's Intellectual Property, not Internet Protocol for you
net-heads) land sharks are in a feeding frenzy.

YMMV (I'm a quick study ;-))

/P

At 17:38 02/03/1999 +0000, you wrote:
|Does it really cause any problems if two lists at different hosts have the
|same name? What are the implications? Has it given any of you trouble?
|
|Ian Hall

End Reply