Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Jun 1994 15:39:17 EDT
On Fri, 3 Jun 1994 09:00:00 PDT Melvin Klassen said:

>One large list I own has many "redistribution" lists listed as subscribers,
>and I welcome them, because it means less Internet traffic between my host
>and the redistributing-host.

I completely agree, however, being asked  first is just a matter of courtesy.
In the  case of my  list, I must  be asked first  because its set  with Send=
Private. My list is gatewayed via  American University to Usenet so if people
ask me before they set up their  own gateway, some of these people might find
that they don't  need to reinvent the  wheel if they already  have Usenet and
the bit.listserv  hierarchy available to their  users. In any event,  I never
lost any sleep  when people did this on  my list when Send was  equal to Open
since I want my list to be as widely available as possible.

  Stan  Horwitz  Internet: [log in to unmask]  Bitnet:  STAN@TEMPLEVM
  Temple University  -- Senior  Consultant (My  views are  all mine!)
  Manager of the Help-Net and Suggest lists and Listserv Postmaster.