Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 7 Nov 1993 10:54:08 MST
On Sat, 6 Nov 1993 22:19:32 EST Steve Traugott said:
>Does anyone know of any method other than the 'Daily-Threshold'
>keyword to regulate the daily volume of a list?

  you could moderate it...but that takes even MORE work than free-ing it
on occasion.

>We have 'Daily-Threshold' set to 10 on UUs-L, which seems to be a

   Quite likely the lowest I've ever seen or heard of used.  I'm on
one list where the limit is 300, and it has been freed a few times, though
not often.

>comfortable number.  Beyond that the volume seems to stress people
>out and the confusion and flames increase.

  Well, if you just free it anyway, then you aren't really holding it
to ten, so don't really see the point.

>The drawback with 'Daily-Threshold' is that, once the threshold limit
>is reached, the list is held until a FREE command is received, which

   well, maybe that's a drawback, but that IS what it is designed to do.

>pretty much means that the list owner needs to send FREE listname
>every day...  I could do this from my machine, but the problem
>with this is that if my little workstation or its connectivity to
>UBVM goes down, then so does the list.

   Well, that is true on ANY list, no matter what the limit is set to.
Assuming, of course, that the limit is reasonably set.

cyclops

  Dan Lester                          Internet: [log in to unmask]
  Network Information Coordinator     Bitnet:   ALILESTE@IDBSU
  Boise State University Library
  Boise, Idaho  83725                 In the kingdom of the blind, the
  208-385-1235                        one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus. 1523