Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 05:37:30 -0500
I have a dumb question.  Back in the good old days before we were registered
in the bitnet-internet equivalency tables (or whatever the name is), I was
able to keep my list subscriptions for the two addresses totally separate
(obviously).  My question now is how to take action on one address without
affecting the other?  Because of some internet mail oddities between uga.cc.
uga.edu and ra.msstate.edu (internet mail is taking 6-8 hours to arrive),
I've been using my bitnet address for Words-L, a list that I happen to be
listowner of.  I used to have subscriptions for both addresses, one set
for nomail.  And that used to be no problem.  Now it's a big problem.  When
I subscribe from my bitnet address, LISTSERV simply updates my other
subscription (changing my name on it to my dog's name since usually my
dog uses my bitnet address).  I've discovered that I can add the bitnet
address by sending the command as listowner, but then when I try to set
one of the addresses to nomail or delete one of the addresses, both
addresses are affected.  Why can I add one without affecting the other
but not delete one without affecting the other?   And is there any way
to have one set for mail and the other for nomail?

Next question.  We were discussing not long ago the subject of names
and the 'register' command.  I understand how that works for subscribers
(or at least I think I do).  But something odd has been going on with
my name as listowner, apparently related to all my fooling around with
the bitnet address in my dog's name and my regular internet address.
Why is my dog's name given in the cc of this message to listowners while
my name is given as the listowner who sent the command?  (I don't really
care that my dog's name is given.  People on Words-L know that he's a
caring listowner.  I'm mainly curious about it.)  My dog, btw, is a
listowner for this list from another address ([log in to unmask])
but has 'hide; quiet' set most of the time.

> Date:         Wed, 28 Sep 1994 06:11:39 -0400
> From: BITNET list server at UGA (1.8a) <[log in to unmask]>
> To: Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
> cc: [log in to unmask], Jim Bradley <[log in to unmask]>,
>         Bernard Chien Perro <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Wed, 28 Sep 1994 06:11:37
>
>Natalie  Maynor  <[log in to unmask]>  has just  altered  your  subscription
>options for the WORDS-L list as per  the "SET WORDS-L NOMAIL" command. For more
>information  about subscription  options,  send a  "QUERY  WORDS-L" command  to
>[log in to unmask] (or [log in to unmask]).

(I did not, of course, send any command to alter subscription options for
[log in to unmask]  I sent the command to set maynor@msstate to nomail.)
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])