Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 6 Aug 1995 12:01:23 -0500
I'm the Subscription Manager for KIDLINK.  We run 16 public lists
with a large group of volunteers who serve as owners and editors
of the individual lists.  We have set up a special mailing list
for notifications.  I get the digest for this list.

This is the first part of the digest I got this morning:

> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. RESPONSE: [log in to unmask] joined the list
>   2. KIDLEADR: [log in to unmask] joined the list
>   3. KIDLINK: [log in to unmask] left the list
>   4. KIDLEADR: [log in to unmask] left the list

This is great!  Instead of 46 separate messages, I get one
message with a 46-line summary of the essential information.

But there is a problem:

>  14. Your removal from the KIDLINK list

I can't tell from this which subscription was removed.  Instead
of sending a notice to the owner, LISTSERV sends a CC of the
message to the subscriber.

If I go into the digest for the complete message, I find this:

> Date:    Sat, 5 Aug 1995 22:11:42 -0500
> From:    "L-Soft list server at NDSUVM1 (1.8b)" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Your removal from the KIDLINK list
>
> Sat, 5 Aug 1995 22:11:42
>
> You have  been removed from  the KIDLINK  list (KIDLINK Project  List) by
> E-Mail Postmaster <[log in to unmask]>.

I *still* have no idea who was removed.  The digest does not
contain the "To:" line from the message.

Suggestion
==========
In the long run, I'd really like to see LISTSERV send the
notification address messages with subject lines like these:

   RESPONSE: [log in to unmask] added
   KIDLINK: [log in to unmask] removed

Question
========
It is very important to us to have notifications of the
subscriptions that have been added or removed.  I have two ideas
about how we might do this:

1) Change the MAILTPL file to add the information I need in the
messages for list addition and deletion.  I have not checked yet
to make sure these messages can be changed.

2) Set up a special account to receive all the notifications and
write a script to create our own subscription change summary each
day.

I'd welcome any suggestions you have about how to accomplish our
goal quickly and easily.

                          Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
<<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>