"Stephens, Larry V" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 08:26:12 -0500
MSN now joins the long, long list of ISPs who have changed their domain
name. I don't know about the rest of you, but this keeps me busy just
trying to help people with changed addresses (especially since I keep my
lists private). I hate to start giving out instructions on how to fake
your address (so they can make their own changes), and I'll admit I
haven't thought through all the ramifications of this, but:

        Has any thought ever been given to assigning subscribers some
sort of server password ID so they could change their list address(es)
even if their domain or user name (e.g., Compuserve) changes? I know a
lot of them wouldn't remember it (since they can't even SIGNOFF if
nothing has changed) but perhaps a significant number would.

An associated question (and perhaps I've missed something in the
manual):

        Could we not have a command to change an address? This is not a
killer, but would save some typing:
        CHANGE listname [log in to unmask] [to] [log in to unmask]
pw=...

and

        CHANGE *      " " " " "