Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:28:12 -0600
> Perhaps someone could suggest why anyone would want to require
> confirmation in the case of signoff? (Not a rhetorical question: I'm
> trying to imagine the circumstances.)

A fairly easy question to answser.. Most of us have had disgruntled subscribers..
who may get angry at the listowners.. OR at other subscribers.. as it is I think..
anyone can unsub. another.. by merely forging that person's email address in
his/her email program as the sender.

Of course the person who got hit would get notice.. but perhaps not until after many
messages through a list were missed and then would have to resub.. and perhaps
even get a new password .. where if CONFIRM for Unsubs were an option .. all they
would get was a confirmation and confirm expired email from listserv.

I was warned about this problem some time ago when we were offered a basic cgi
script form to use for our subscribers to SUB and UNSUB with.

  ...Cleo  [log in to unmask]