"Fletes, Raul" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 12:31:41 -0600
Thanks for the input.

The list is rather new (2 or 3 days old), and I now better understand
how the INDEX command produced only APUG-L.LOG0103.  Yes, I have
the notebook set to monthly, thus it is still active.

As far as newsgroup, no I am NOT dealing with two separate systems,
other than the one provided by LISTSERV-95/98.

If I set the list to NO ARCHIVES, then the list just becomes a plain
e-mail distribution list, doesn't it?  If so I can do that with Outlook...

Raul.

-----Original Message-----
From: Winship [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 12:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Delete individual postings

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Fletes, Raul wrote:
> When I do an INDEX APUG-L  I only get one item back, the
> rest do not show.  However, I pull by date, for example
> everything posted since March 2001, then I see them. But
> I want them out.

So, how old is this list?  How are the notebooks specified?
If this is a new list, and your notebook period is, say, monthly,
yeah, you will get only one log reprted with an INDEX command.

The stuff you want to delete will be in that log. GET it, edit it,
then PUT it back.  NOTE!!! if this is an active log, one which is
still automatically building, you MUST place the list on HOLD
BEFORE you start tampering with the archives (and if you go mucking
around with the archives just because you don't like what someone
said you really ain't got archives so why don't you set so you have
no archives?) or you will roally muck it up. FREE it after you PUT
it back.

Now, from what you said previously, I suspect you are dealing with
two systems, one of them being a "newsgroup" type system which echoes
the LISTSERV group.  If that is the case, LISTSERV has nothing to
do with the "newsgroup" and deleting material from the LISTSERV
logs will in no way affect what is shown on the 'newsgroup' as they
are likely totally separate systems; the newsgroup already has it
and no LISTSERV operation will affect that.

LISTSERV postings do not have expiration dates, but newsgroup thingies
quite often do.  Do not confuse the two.

Douglas