"Natalie Maynor" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 29 Feb 1992 07:43:17 CST
> >have forgotten they're on the list.  Seeing all those names of deadwood
> >subscribers somehow offended my sense of orderliness.
>
> For some lists, the reason for having NOMAIL set is because that
> subscriber reads mail via a gateway/Usenet/Netnews, but the List is
> marked PRIVATE and that subscriber might have a need to search/fetch
> the notebook archives.

Good point.  I subscribe to a couple of private lists and keep 'nomail'
set so that I can search the archives without having to receive the mail.
That doesn't apply in the case of WORDS-L, however, since everything is
open about the list and since the archives aren't managed by the listserv.
The archives are here at Mississippi State available via anonymous ftp to
anybody who wants them.  (UGA doesn't have the space for list notebooks.)

> Also, being a subscriber *might* indicates to others the folks at
> a particular institution who are interested in a particular list's
> focus.

That also is a good point, although again it probably doesn't apply
to WORDS-L.  It would be pretty hard to determine the list's focus
(which is one of the things special about the list in the view of its
"regulars").
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])