Shahrukh Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 16:44:54 +0000
I manually approved a posting to what is normally a self-moderated
list, and got the same message back, asking me (again) to approve it.
Listserv is treating my address [log in to unmask] simultaneously
as both an "unauthorized to post" address AND the address of one who
IS authorized to approve postings.  VERY strange.

Here are the gory details:

First, the message from Listserv informing me that my message (i.e., the
one resent by me) has been submitted for approval:

Date:         Mon, 9 Dec 1996 15:16:47 -0500
From: "L-Soft list server at MITVMA (1.8b)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Message ("Your message dated Wed, 20 Nov 1996 16:52:13...")
To: Shahrukh Merchant <[log in to unmask]>

Your message dated Wed, 20 Nov  1996 16:52:13 -0300 with subject "Milonga,
Waltz and other things" has been submitted to the moderator of the TANGO-L
list: Shahrukh Merchant <[log in to unmask]>.

This already appears explicitly self-contradictory, since Listserv
explicitly uses exactly the same address <[log in to unmask]>
both to send this message to, and as the address it believes is that of
the moderator.

OK, so it must be in my list header.  I didn't see it, but here it is.
As you can see, Editor= includes "[log in to unmask]", and Send= is
set to "Editor".
*
* Discussion of Any Aspect of the Argentine Tango
*
*  Owner= [log in to unmask] (Mary Chen)
*  Owner= Quiet:,[log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]
*  Owner= [log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]
*  Owner= [log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]
*
*  Editor= [log in to unmask]
*  Editor= (TANGO-L)
*  Editor= [log in to unmask],[log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]
*  Editor= [log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]
*
* List-ID= Tango
* List-Address= Listname
* Review= Owner
* Subscription= Open,Confirm
* Send= Editor
* Notify= [log in to unmask]
* Reply-To= Sender,Respect
* Files= Yes
* Digest= Yes,G,Daily,03:50,Size(2000)
* Ack= No
* Validate= Yes
* Notebook= No
* Stats= Normal,Private
* Errors-To= [log in to unmask]
* Default-Options= Repro,Shortbsmtp
* Auto-Delete= Yes,Semi-Auto,Delay(3),Max(100)
* Sizelim= 600
*

Finally, here is the message I was asked to "(re-)approve".  Note that it
already has the proper "Resent-From: [log in to unmask]" header
(as I was trying to approve it in the first place).  The original sender
[log in to unmask] is not subscribed to the list, of course (hence
needing my approval).  Listserv properly recognizes [log in to unmask]
as the new (resending) "sender", since it sent the informational message
"Your message ... had been submitted to the moderator ..." to that address,
but why didn't it recognize it as a valid one to approve in the first
place?

The only thing I can see that seems suspicious is that the first "Received:"
header line in the "Original Message" below seems improperly split on a period,
and doesn't have whitespace in the continuation line, but perhaps that's just
the way it was formatted ....

[This list (Tango-L) has been in operation for some years, but this is
the first time I've manually approved a posting to it, since it is self-
moderated.  However, I do have another list (ballrm-m) to which I approve
postings manually all the time without a problem.  Ballrm-m is identically
configured to (Tango-L), except that the "Editor= (LISTNAME)" line is
omitted, since ballrm-m is intended to be fully moderated.]