David Arthur <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 08:50:02 -0400
The problem is, once you cross that border, all bets are off.  Now, let me
preface my comments with the fact that I'm not an attorney.  (But I did stay
in a Holliday Inn once . . . sorry, bad joke off of a U.S. TV commercial.)
I'm a safety professional and get bombarded with U.S. law from the
compliance end . . . "ugh!"

Anyway, as I understand it, if someone used part of one of my posts outside
of the list, then I could sue them in U.S. court.  However, let's say they
are in Bosnia . . . and yes, I have had Bosnians on my list.  Even if
successful in court, how on earth would I get the Bosnian judicial system to
enforce the verdict on the individual.  After they were done laughing, I
might get a nice e-mail basically saying, "Sorry!"

One thing we have done, is that when it happens regularly, we contact the
offending party, and explain that their subscription is in danger if they
continue.  This falls under the principle that, if they aren't on the list,
they can't go around using other members material.  Thus far, the threat has
worked wonderfully.

We also don't edit any content or archives, nor is anyone on review on as a
general principle.  If they toss something out there that's offensive, they
get three days of review, and if it happens again, they're off the list.  We
have a zero-tolerance no-flames policy.  To date, only four people are
banned from our list.

In other words, be selective of the rules you set, then enforce them with
vigor.  That philosophy has worked for us for at least six years for which I
can account.

David
Admin, Poodle-L